Healthier Frittata (thanks WieFit Client Tim WaterFill!)
Frittatas are an Italian dish similar to an omelette. That’s good news and the bad news. Just like an omelette, they can be filled with just about anything. In this case, since there’s plenty of protein in the eggs, I’m only adding vegetables. Any vegetables you like will work but leafy vegetables & tomatoes do not need to be sauteed. Just add with the eggs. Use a non-stick omelette pan for easiest removal. This can be ‘upsized’ for multiple servings very easily.
4 egg whites
1 whole egg
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped red onion
Pam cooking spray
- Thoroughly coat an omelette pan with Pam & saute onions & mushrooms on medium high until soft and/or browned to your liking.
- Whisk whole egg & 4 egg whites together, set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium high and add another dose of Pam right on the vegetables. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables & salt & pepper to taste.
- Turn on your oven’s broiler and make sure to leave the oven door cracked open. It’ll shut off otherwise. The oven shelf should be on the second rung from the top. Now’s the time add spinach or tomatoes or any other soft vegies.
- Watch the sides of the pan to see when the bottom of the Frittata is getting solid. Use a fork & pick up the side a little. When its browned on the bottom, transfer it to the broiler.
- Put the pan under the broiler element BUT if you have a rubber, plastic, wood etc. handle on the pan, let it stick out of the oven. No reason to start a fire or have a meltdown…
- Watch the frittata. In a few minutes it’ll puff up & brown slightly.
- Pull it out & it should slide right out on a plate. Serve with your favorite salsa.